Spanning four generations and an infinite range of human emotions, When We Were Young is the story of the Mitchell family beginning in England at the outbreak of World War II, chronicling the triumphs and tragedies of those tumultuous times. But most of all, it is the story of Jim Mitchell, a young ambitious English boy hardened by his wartime experience. Eager to grasp life’s opportunities, he embarks on an adventured peopled by a rich cast of characters he meets along the way.
- The raven-haired, charismatic, Maggie Bernadette O’Toole, rebellious daughter of his father’s sister, and her Irish immigrant husband.
- John Thompson, marine engineer extraordinaire, friend, world traveler, and mentor.
- Nikolai ConcalvesCavalantis, an older Brazilian playboy, who is heir to one of the world’s leading hotel corporations, and his young olive-skinned wife, the beautiful Maria.
- Lydia Louise Henning, a brilliant academic who served in the SAS during World War II and was captured by the German Gestapo, and brutally tortured.
- Jim Mitchell, his grandfather, a farmer, lay preacher, and mentor in his formative years.